For those who have been (im)patiently waiting to take a bite out of AT&T’s release of their bloated version of Ice Cream Sandwich(ICS) for the Samsung Galaxy Note, we have the solution! This version of ICS does not contain bloatware AT&T is notorious for (U-Verse, for example). Here are the step by step instructions and a preparation checklist to get ICS on your Samsung Galaxy Note; If you have the European release (N700), do yourself a favor and click here! For those who are still reading (SGH-I717) users only!), let’s get to it!
What you’ll need
- A Windows PC/Laptop
- Your Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-I717)
- Backup all the important data (Internet settings, passwords, SMS etc.)
How to update Galaxy Note (AT&T SGH-I717) to Android 4.0.3 With UCLD3
- Step 1: Download the drivers for Galaxy Note to your PC (USB_Driver_for_ATT_I717_Galaxy_Note_v1_3_2200_0.exe) 22 MB.
- Step 2: Download firmware UCLD3 to your PC
(SGH-I717UCLD3-1FB30D08F1D2B2AAAECF49D262E8E707.exe) 902 MB.
- Step 3: Run the Galaxy Note drivers file (USB_Driver_for_ATT_I717_Galaxy_Note_v1_3_2200_0.exe) to install it on the PC.
- Step 4: Run the UCLD3 file (SGH-I717UCLD3-1FB30D08F1D2B2AAAECF49D262E8E707.exe) to install Odin. Switch off the device
- Step 5: Simultaneously press and hold the power and volume buttons to boot the device in download mode. Then use a USB cable to connect to device to the computer.
- Step 6: The Odin’s message box will display an “Added” message once the phone has been connected to the computer. Odin’s first box will show something like“0:[COM#]” if the phone has been recognized.
- Step 7: Click the start button in Odin and to install UCLD3 firmware on the Galaxy Note. The phone will reboot itself few times after a few minutes.
- Step 8: Once, process is complete, disconnect the device and enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich.
- This tutorial is for the Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-I717) only! If you use it on any other make or model, your ice cream sandwich will melt…seriously, only use this tutorial for SGH-I717.
- Atlanta Computer Dude is not responsible for malfunctions, crashes, the apocalypse, etc. In essence, do this at your own risk.
Note: Odin may freeze so you can follow this troubleshooting guide:
- Disconnect the device from the computer
- Shut down Odin
- Remove and re-insert the battery of the device
- Repeat from Step 5 in the tutorial.
What’s new on Ice Cream Sandwich
- Refined, evolved UI
- Home screen folders and favorites tray
- Resizable widgets
- New lock screen actions
- Quick responses for incoming calls
- Swipe to dismiss notifications, tasks, and browser tabs
- Improved text input and spell-checking
- Powerful voice input engine
- Control over network data
- Designed for accessibility
- People and profiles
- Unified calendar, visual voicemail
- Rich and versatile camera capabilities
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor
- Live Effects for transforming video
- Sharing with screenshots
- Powerful web browsing
- Improved email
- Android Beam for NFC-based sharing
- Face Unlock
- Wi-Fi Direct and Bluetooth HDP